Why Become a Member of Reopen Beach Road
- You add strength to RBR's quest. We believe that our government should never give away our parks, preserves, beach and water accesses, and that these places should be accessible to all, including the elderly and our mobility and vision impaired citizens. Your membership voice is important to our success.
- Enjoy the rewarding experiences of helping to effectuate positive change in your community by helping at our social and political events.
- Perhaps you will create meaningful connections with individuals who might become your next friend, customer or colleague.
- The loss of public assets is an issue that extends well beyond Siesta Key. RBR is working to solve tough, real problems in our community by creating awareness about the issues and developing relationships with like minded groups.
- One of RBR's goals is to improve Sarasota's deplorable position at the bottom of Florida's beach access list. For example, according to the Florida Department of Environmental Protection website on Beach Access, Sarasota County has 35 miles of sandy beaches with 37 points of public access (approximately 1 per mile) (1.05). Pinellas County has 4 times as much public access as Sarasota with 37 miles of sandy beaches and 158 public access points (approximately 4 per mile)(4.27). Even with only 12.3 miles of sandy beaches, Manatee County accessibility is 6 times better than Sarasota because Manatee County's 12 miles of beaches have 72 public beach accesses (approximately 6 per mile) (5.85). In Florida, 40% of the average shoreline is owned by the public, yet only 20% of Sarasota's beaches are owned by the public.
- As a member, you may find yourself seeking the support of RBR's knowledgeable, passionate, like-minded people that want to preserve the character of our laid-back island lifestyle. You might use the resources and power of RBR to bring attention and insight to issues that matter to you.
- Becoming a RBR member is a way to give back to your community now, while protecting our valuable public assets for future generations.